Tuesday, January 18, 2005

more trees please

My next few post will be all about trees. It’s easy to take trees for granted. For example, when I was young I had only two uses for trees. Lumber or firewood.
Trees are a majestic plant. It was one of the main reasons North America was discovered. The King was looking for trees to build the navy because England was running out of wood…fast.
The old-timers admired trees. They knew exactly what kind of wood to use for what. Our fore-fathers used trees for nautical guidance, trail markers, hiding documents, dueling next to, and the list goes on. I was really quite amazed on what I found out about trees and colonial America. So, I’ll be linking cool sites on my blog over the next couple days.

2 comments:

Scott M Terry said...

Great post. I feel the same way about trees.

John Wayne in the Alamo movie played Crocket. He said, "Look at that tree. You know it was a long time before I ever took a good hard look at a tree. For half my life I only wondered if there was an indian behind it or a bear in the top of it."

Abigail said...

thanks for the cool link.

i'm almost inside out from the two of you.
i sprung forth from my mother's womb a tree-lover, and i always loved sitting in a tree more than trudging out to the woodpile to gather firewood to stock the stove. (although the practical task of going to the woods to saw up trees was always fun for me; with all of us kids playing and squabbling out there, it couldn't have been anything else.}