Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Niews and Vews

After reading this article, I came away with one disturbing question. A question that speaks volumes about our current (a) ignorance of everything historic and (b) our position of arrogance.

Piracy or Terror?
I'm really at a loss as to what the essential difference between piracy and terror is. I mean, isn't piracy a form of terrorism and aren't terrorist acutually pirates? The title alone supports an idea that if one had to chose, piracy is the best way to go. As if pirates are some sort of Robin Hood hero. In the epitome of seafaring Navies, pirates were shot first and hanged later. If I wasn't so lazy and persuaded of my point I could quickly dig up some British Naval document or law mandating the death of pirates.

Granted, technically pirates and terrorist are two different classes of disturbances, but only in academia. They both aim to cripple governments, have political greviences, are generally unorganized with limited monies, but are highly motivated, largely communal, and don't shave. Obviously though, in order to be branded a terrorist you have to have 'an American target'.

5 comments:

trawlerman said...

Interesting.

Why do we have such a romantic view of pirates?

Abigail said...

because they feature large in great fiction (e.g. treasure island), they have beards, and they kidnap fair damsels to ride the high seas.

Abigail said...

really, though, matt did make an interesting parallel.

good ol' reformed ben gunn has this to say (emphasis mine) ""It was a bit lonely on the island, so I was pleased to see Jim and the others, but not those no good pirates."

arrrr...

Matt said...

Thanks Abby, I was waiting for an arr..

I was thinking more on this today (which I'm not really sure why). But think historically now for a minute. Practically ALL of the bad guys have become good guys over time(minus Pharisees of course).


Vikings
Conquistidors
Pirates

to name a few.

In my great summation of things historical, I believe nothing less than those cursed written scripts, aka comics, are to blame. Case in point, Hagar the Horrible. Need I say more?

Matt said...

My bad.
It should read drawn script, not written.

Ya know, John, it's really much funner to bust on you in person.