Friday, July 29, 2005

"yup"

So Great is the regard of the law for private property; that it will not authorize the least violation of it; no, not even for the common good of the whole community.
-Blackstone’s Commentaries

The true test of character is not how much we know how to do, but how we behave when we don’t know what to do.
-John Holt

Since I am neither eloquent or patient, I tend not to write anything provacative. Lately, however, I've been thinking a lot about kirk membership vs. adherants, biblical warrant, etc. Someday I'll get to responding to John's post (which is next on my 'to-think-about' list).
It's easy to get infected with the virulence of 'this church isn't meeting my needs' bug. Granted most everybody denies that there exists a perfect church. A perfect church in doctrine and unity is something to be aimed at. With all this talk of a perfect church, why isn't there much talk of becoming the perfect church-goer?
What qualities would the perfect church-goes possess? Maturity, prudence, wisdom, slow to anger, quick to forgive, submissive, and a good psalm singer are only a few. Just becuase I hate being taxed an ungodly amout doesn't mean that I'm un-American or that I should leave. Virtually everyone believes that, which only proves we value our citizenship more highly than our local church membership (when we leave on piddly personal issues).

1 comment:

Peter said...

>>>A perfect church in doctrine and unity is something to be aimed at. With all this talk of a perfect church, why isn't there much talk of becoming the perfect church-goer?

The Church is always in need of reform. So how does one reform the Church? I recently heard someone state that the Church is reformed primarily by her members responding to the call to sanctification and holiness. I agree, if we want to reform the Church, we must become holy. No amount of of protest, grievance, political maneuvering, activism, critique, or threat is going to do a great deal.