Saturday, April 02, 2005

Week Thots

This week was the craziest in a long time. At work I might be getting a promotion, but then again, maybe not. It's a long story. To boot, things at church are always interesting, too.
Which brings me to Scott's post.

I've been thinking this week (well, maybe every week) about how Christians look. We should be radically different and unmistakable from our heathen counterparts. Not in the sense of a snooty, holy roller, but rather distinguishable. I too, hope some day have what is being dubed ' a Christian community'. But that's just a fancy word for 'Christians living like they should'. Historically, people of a particular conviction always want to literally have a city on a hill. I'm not entirely convinced that in the long run it's a good idea (or biblical). It's difficult to convince heathens that we love them as neighbors if we're consumed with ourselves.

So, to solve all the aforementioned problemos, I submit the following. We need to return to a culture of Shoes and Hats. Allow me to explain.

Shoes distinguish a people. For example, if I said 'Dutch', you would say klompen (wooden shoes for you non-Dutchers). Now that you get the idea, you can be creative. Shoes represent the bare utility of a people and the resources that are given them. The footwear defines their everyday need. We as Christians need to develop unique footwear that shows our dominion over creation and our willingness to work in it. I like muck boots.

Secondly, and more flamboyant, Hats. Hats represent the shear luxury or imagination of a people. It represents what you really believe about the world and life. Amish don simple hats because they believe the world to be simple; black and white you might say. I have no suggestions for what kind of hats to wear but this topic is one that should be taken up in some sort of seminar.

Although the current Christian climate in America should be easy to see if you use my formula of 'Shoes and Hats'. We're a bunch of immature babies running around without our hats and barefoot, all against our Father's wishes.
After we get the Hat and Shoes thing down, then we can start to talk pipe tobacco.

10 comments:

Rebecca said...

Since when does being barefoot represent immaturity? I would argue, Captain, that going barefoot suggests our dominion over creation and our willingness to work in it just as the donning of shoes might. Maybe better at times...think of the steletto, for example. hehehe
Really though, I don't put as much emPHAsis on Dominion as you-but going barefoot represents one more crucial element...and that is, glorying in the majesty of the Lord's creation. One can never know true bliss until they walk in the tall dewed grass, "baptizing" the foot with every step.

After all-hasn't that been our goal since we've been married? To keep me barefoot and pregnant? Or did you just want to keep me immature?

;-) Love ya.

Abigail said...

Ahem. Although I read your words drenched in a bucket of salt, I agree with your wife in regards to bare feet. In college, I would shuck the shoes at the first sign of spring thaw, even if it meant blue toes during English class.

I do like your basic premise--a culture of shoes and hats--an awful lot. Could you boys wear top hats? I love how a top hat looks when properly worn (but then, i also love well-worn cowboy hats).

For the girls, you ask? Do you remember the mushroom-shaped hat bedecked with peacock feathers I occasionally wore to C+C? Well, we should probably steer clear of peacock feathers.

Should we all wear one standard hat, or will any hat work just by virtue of its hatness? Can the hats vary according to the day or mood or must they stay put?

All very serious questions deserving to be ignored...

Matt said...

You women and running around barefoot! Haven't ya heard of Tetanus?

To continue the conversation, no, I don't think any hat will do. Some hats are indeed more virtuous. I think you alluded to that with your disinclination towards peacock feathers. I, too, like top hats for men. I think we've ridden this ballcap train far enough.

Women, on the other hand, should go back to wearing bonnets. Not your run-o-the mill prairie bonnet, but the beautiful velvet sort.

Naturally, those are 'Sunday best' attire. For work and play a fedora type hat will do just fine for men. (anything with a full brim). For the women folk... I'm not really sure.

I still think there's some sort of crazy pressupposition behind barefootedness, one which will take a man better than me to identify.

trawlerman said...

"I still think there's some sort of crazy pressupposition behind barefootedness, one which will take a man better than me to identify."

yup, that barefoot talk is based on the sort of logic that leads to nudist colonies.

Valerie (Kyriosity) said...

"Then He said, 'Do not draw near this place. Take your sandals off your feet, for the place where you stand is holy ground.'"

Clearly barefootedness is a biblical option.

"And he preached, saying, 'There comes One after me who is mightier than I, whose sandal strap I am not worthy to stoop down and loose.'"

And if sandals are good enough for Jesus, they're good enough for me.

(I wore sandals today for the first time this season and promptly removed them once I got to the office.)

Matt said...

Valerie I think you're on to something.
Namely, that barefootedness was an OT option. Now, however, living in NT times we are commanded by implication to wear footwear.

Abigail said...

it's funny--the john owen i know went on many crazy, barefoot adventures with one abigail johnson during and after spring melt. (barefoot before, during, and after the times of wooing.)

Valerie (Kyriosity) said...

Matt, you are clearly a dispensationalist.

Matt said...

Valerie, I'm only trying to clarify what you wrote.

I just love debating with reformed folk. We can turn any topic into a discussion of escatology.

I hope the rapture doesn't come befo

Valerie (Kyriosity) said...

LOL...a friend of mine has as his signature line for an online forum, "WARNING: In case of rapture the eschatological views of this poster will change
suddenly."