Monday, January 02, 2006

Historically Reading

I was lost in the 14th century before Christmas reading about Richard the Lionheart and Saladin in the 3rd Crusade. I haven't quite finished writing a review to post yet. If that sounds nerdy, it's only because lots of cool stuff happened that I want to write (thus proving I acutally remembered it).
Over Christmas I read 1776 by David McCullough. It was fair. I give it 3.5 stars. I score it such becuase in places it read more like a movie script, and thus in my opinion compromised the historicity of the moment in order to gain readership.
However, it led me to the book I'm currently reading. George Washington was a Colonel in the Seven Years' War (French and Indian) sent by the Virginia Militia. So, this, and other things got me interested. (Off to the Library) Fred Anderson wrote a book called Crucible of War that caught my eye and now occupies my nightstand.

Tally-ho

1 comment:

trawlerman said...

When you come and visit next (and you most certainly shall), we need to play Hammer of the Scots.

The only thing better than reading history is acting it out with little wooden blocks.