Thursday, August 11, 2005

A Hairy Subject

I was out to a farm this morning over in Newark Valley. The farmer was an older fella with two bad knees. He has a herd of 25 cows and was selling out to a farmer up north, contingent upon low SCC. So I was there taking individual milk samples of all the cows for analysis.
When I go to farms, the mostest funnest part is the first 15 minutes. Usually neither of us know each other, so both the farmer and myself ask quite open ended questions. This morning we talked about Iraq, Molson Ice, DHIA, and bST.
When he was talking about bST, I was quite alarmed. He milks with 3-65# DeLaval buckets (most of which were full) and I've never know a bucket milked herd to use bST. Well this fella says he uses it all winter long. Just then he pointed over to a curry comb hanging on the wall and said, "there it is now, my Back Scratching Tool! I use it on every cow."

2 comments:

Abigail said...

I love the quips of farming folk. Thanks for sharing this one!

Matt said...

Irene,
thank-you for your kind words! I definitely believe you!
I'll let you know the very minute I need the Best equity home loan.

megablogger,
Hi there right back at 'cha!
Thanks for the great review, I'm sure you'll be back!
I'll try and find some time and check out your totally unbiblically law divorce 'related' website.

Abigail,
Thank's for your honesty.