Monday, February 14, 2005

Do you use 'em?

Between my wife and I, I’m really not sure how many books we own. A fair statement would be more than average. A humble library. In a way a personal library is a stairway that leads to that specific persons' ideas.
When company comes over, inevitably books are, at one point or another, a topic of conversation. We all sit down in the living room next to approximately three acres of rain forest reincarnated as books. Sip our coffee. Stare at each other for a while. Then as a ‘conversation starter’, I brace myself for the hackneyed question. “Do you use all these books? Have you read them all, I mean?”
So I’m sideswiped with a formidable question. At first I thought a discussion on the use of books, some important authors, concepts of medium vs. content etc, would weigh heavy in the air. But no, I get sideswiped. Unable to hold it in any longer, I think my expression contorts to something between cross-eyed and bitter beer face. “What”, I ask myself, “ are the presuppositions to such a question?” It almost strikes at one’s manhood. But those are thoughts for another time.
Finally I have a question to answer a question. Simply ask, “Do you own a TV set?” If the answer is affirmative (which it will be for a person who asks such queries as aforementioned); ask “Do you use all those channels, I mean is it useful?”

5 comments:

Scott M Terry said...

Them coffe sippers!

I know for a fact when your beer gulping friends are over they discuss whats in them books.....Did i spell coffe right?

trawlerman said...

I usually set out a book or two to be used as a drink coaster when company is over, just to showcase how useful a book can be. I usually use my books to fill up all of these bookshelves and empty floorspace that we have in our gigantic apartment. I don't know what I'd use if I didn't have books; maybe TV Guide magazines. I guess that's cheating since TV Guide is still reading material. hmm..

Matt said...

Puritan Mama,

Glad you stopped by. Hopefully your lil' farmette will be successful.

I'm afraid I won't be of any help as far as book referrals go. I believe the only way to learn about homesteading is by a homesteader. Find a local dairy farmer or old-timer and live off of his every word. There's stuff about farming that's too rich for books.

Abigail said...

if you can't have someone stand by you in the kitchen or a wise mother on the phone (which is my fall-back crutch!), one book that's a tried and true canning classic is the paperback The Ball Blue Book put out by the Ball(Jar) Corporation. It's the book I remember growing up with, and I picked up my own copy at a book sale last year. Canning is quite simple, though, unlike pump houses (I have no clue about pump houses!) and any book will probably steer you through. I know that The Ball Blue Book is thorough. It's also quite safety-conscious. My mother, who learned from her mother, who learned.....etc., ignores some of the safety tips in it. :)

Scott M Terry said...

Puritan Mama,

The Foxfire books have alot good info in them. There is an old book called Five Acres and Independence that is still usefull today. Most modern "homesteading" books are full of alot of nothing. I will check back at home and see if I can find any others worth reading. I'll make a post on my BLOG on good books. Any Jersey questions you have I'd be happy to answer, breeding jerseys is my passion!

Scott